Subject Re: Forcing sweep on particular table
Author robertgilland
> At 10:09 AM 15/06/2006, you wrote:
> >Is there any way to force a sweep on a particular table?
>
> No. But you can force GC on the table by doing a select count(*)
on it.

So you mean if I do
SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM MYTABLE

this automatically forces a Garbage Collection?

What If I do

SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM MYTABBLE
WHERE PRIMARYKEYFIELD = AVALUE

Does this force a Sweep?

> >We have tables we know can get updated up to 100,000 times on a
> >single record.
>
> Hopefully not in Autocommit transactions with
CommitRetaining "built
> in" - the typical Delphi scenario!

We have CommitRetain set to FALSE.

> >We want to force the OAT and OIT on this particular table to have
> >a difference of 0.
>
> If you have multiple users then a diff of 0 is only likely to exist
> immediately after a clean sweep or GC while no users are online
that
> have accessed the table. You want to get to a point where sweep
> never has to happen because you are managing transactions well and
GC
> is keeping up. From your previous posting it appears TM in your
> app[s] is a bit chaotic, for one reason or another.
>
> ./heLen

By TM do you mean Transaction Management?
We use InterXPress and our settings are:

RoleName=RoleName
ServerCharSet=
SQLDialect=3
BlobSize=-1
CommitRetain=False
WaitOnLocks=True
ErrorResourceFile=
LocaleCode=0000
Interbase TransIsolation=ReadCommited
Trim Char=True

Any problems with these?

We don't actually use Transactions, at the moment.
But we are looking at doing so very soon.

Regards,

Robert