Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird Server Guardian Issue
Author Lester Caine
Ghazanfar Ali wrote:

> I am developing an application that is supposed to start before some user logged in. I am using FireBird to store the records. It is sometimes observed that the FireBird service didn't start at start up and my application fails to do its processing as FireBird service is down so cannot fetch information from the database. Can someone tell me that is it possible the firebird starts before my application starts at windows startup. I have also observed that FireBird service automatically stops during some transaction and my transaction fails to complete.
>
> I am using Firebird 1.5.2 (Win32 Build)
>
> Any sort of help will be appreciated.

The main problem here is Windows. I presume you are talking about XP
which has the very annoying BUG of giving you the login screen long
before it has even STARTED loading some of the services.

One rule on XP sites. Switch the computer on - then have a cup of
tea/coffee :) Don't use the computer until the hard disk is quiet.

There are a number of methods of getting things to sequence when windows
starts up, and the services module SHOULD bring things up in the right
order ( TCP/IP before services using it ). I don't have many sites left
that run Firebird on a 'workstation' they all have dedicated servers,
but the site that do have a delay in the program startup which can be
set from the registry and pops up a message "Waiting for Windows" during
that time. *ONE* minute is reliable on slower machines if you want to
put the program in the startup menu and it relies on a local copy of
Firebird.

This is one reason some people prefer the 'embedded' version of Firebird
for stand alone applications.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL