Subject Re: Best OS tu use with Firebird ??
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "diegodelafuente"
<diegodelafuente@...> wrote:

> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Adam" <s3057043@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "diegodelafuente"
> > <diegodelafuente@> wrote:
> > >

> > > I have a Red Hat v9 2.4kernel with Fb 1.5 Superserver. I´am
> using ext
> > > 3 for the Partition Type.
> > > 100 users use thist Server to access a single Database.
> > > The Server Hardware is an IBM Server Series 206, with 3GB Ram
> and 2
> > > disks in Raid 1.
> > > Is this OS the best choice for my equipment ?
> >
> > Do you honestly expect an answer to that?
> >
> > > Does Fb runs better with a Server 2003 and NTFS ?
> >
> > No better, I doubt any worse either. Both have benefits and issues.
> >
> > > Does Fb Clasic Server run s better for 100 users with 3Gb of
> Ram ?
> >
> > Classic server runs better where multiple CPUs are involved,
> > Superserver runs better where the different connections run similar
> > queries and can share the cache. I would think that (unless you
> have
> > bumped up the cache size significantly) 100 users would take under
> a Gig.
> >

> > > Another Question.
> > > How can I check if The Raid Card is apropiate for my workload ?
> > > Can I see some statictis or something else ? I have not
> experience
> > > with Linux.
> >
> > To be honest, you are dealing with a database server for 100 users.
> > You mention 2 disks? What are they? (Better be SCSI). You may want
> > consider a separate disk for the tmp space.
> >
> > Adam
> >

> Adam:
> I´am using SuperServer for an app that runs a lot of diferents
> queries. some of them are complex queries. I have 3GB of Ram.

A 32-bit process can only address 2GB of RAM. ((2^31)-1). Having 3GB
or 100GB, Firebird SuperServer can only use at most 2GB, then you get
problems. That is not to say there is no point of 3GB, other processes
can use the additional RAM.

> So I will change to classic Server to support simultaneous queries.

Well they both support simultaneous queries through threading, using
Classic, they are able to be sent to different CPUs, and the 2GB
limitation of a 32 bit process is per connection rather than global
for the database engine.

> I think that 3GB of Ram I will not have problems.
> I have SCSI 320 disk with Raid 1. Yo use one disk for tmp files I
> need to brake the RAID. I don´t wan´t to do it.
> the Procesor Supports HyperTrading, but I disabled it to use
> SuperServer version of FB.
> Is better to enable it with classic Server ?

Is there physically not enough room in the box to install another hard
drive installed? Doesn't have to be the latest, fastest or largest. A
simple SATA or IDE drive is fine, just something to make sure that
when the disk is being used to sort etc, you are not fighting with
this for your other queries.

I don't even disable HT for SS.

Adam