Subject Re: Another "connection forcibly closed by the remote host" problem
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Thomas"
<rthomas@...> wrote:

> Hi Scott:
> I'm a novice. Here is a blurb I ran across yesterday during general
> research into RDBM subjects:
> 7. Optional: Review or change the value of transaction timeout
properties:
> Total transaction lifetime timeout
> Type the number of seconds a transaction can remain inactive before
it is
> ended by
> the transaction service. A value of 0 (zero) indicates that there is no
> timeout limit.
> Client inactivity timeout
> Type the number of seconds after which a client is considered
inactive and
> the transaction
> service ends any transactions associated with that client. A value of 0
> (zero) indicates
> that there is no timeout limit.
> This is from a IBM Document so I don't even know if there is a similar
> feature in Firebird but it sounds so close to what you described I
thought
> I'd put it up so more experienced folks might cross-reference the
concept
> and comment on it if applicable.

Looks like a feature of an IBM DB.

Firebird does not have such a timeout internally. Windows (and I think
Linux too) have a default setting of 2 hours on a TCP connection after
which time Firebird is told the connection is abandonned, but this is
true for any connection not just a Firebird one, it happens below the
application layer.

Adam