Subject Re: Another "connection forcibly closed by the remote host" problem
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Moon" <smoon63@...>
wrote:

> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Adam" <s3057043@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Moon" <smoon63@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Adam,
> > > Thanks for the reply. First things first, the programs we are
> using
> > > have been in use (with a number of upgrades and the usual
> > > maintenance) for several years, and the problems we are seeing
> now
> > > arose only after we upgraded to FB 1.5.3 from 1.0.3 and moved
> from
> > an
> > > outdated Win2000 server to a much upgraded Win2003 server. We
do
> > plan
> > > in the (hopefully near) future to move away from the BDE
because
> of
> > > its numerous problems.
> > >
> > > Secondly, the problem is only occurring to individual users -
the
> > > Firebird service is running just fine. The applications also
run
> as
> > > expected, unless the user leaves the app open and connected for
> an
> > > hour. I also had this happen to me today when I had Database
> > > Workbench connected with an active SQL Query window open. When
> > > closed DBW I got the "connection was forcibly closed" error,
> which
> > is
> > > exactly what is happening to the clients. If you reopen the
app,
> it
> > > connects and operates just fine.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Scott
> >
> > But have you checked the firebird.log?
> >
> > You will not notice a restarted service unless you are connected
at
> > the time it restarts. It only takes a second to restart.
> >
> > Adam
> >

> Yes - the last entry is from last Thursday when we started the
server
> up after our upgrade:
>
> [servername] (Client) Thu May 18 18:06:23 2006
> Guardian starting: C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5
> \bin\fbserver.exe
>
> That brings up another point - that's all that is in the log. Is
> there a setting I'm missing that tells Firebird what and how much
> enter in the log? Be gentle - I've only been working with FB for a
> few months. Most of my time has been spent with Oracle and
SQLServer,
> that will write volumes to the log.

No, it tends to be pretty quiet unless there is a problem. Mainly
when it starts / stops. You sometimes get some some winsock error
codes when connections are abandonned etc.

Perhaps check the windows event log to be 100% sure but unless there
has been a really severe problem that prevented it from even writing
the log file, the service looks like it has not crashed.

You mention about an idle time. Is it a repeatable precise length of
time when the problem occurs? If so, it is some timeout. Some
powersave 'features' can cause this to occur, as can some vpn
timeouts. Try and isolate whether the problem occurs locally. Open an
iSQL window on the console of the server and leave it for however
long causes a problem then try and run any query. If it works, then
you know your problem is between client and server assuming that 0
traffic = dead connection.

A temporary workaround until you locate the problem would be to run a
simple query like 'select 1 from RDB$DATABASE' every 30 minutes using
some sort of timer as a trigger, a home grown keepalive I suppose.

Adam