Subject Re: [firebird-support] BLOB update?
Author Milan Babuskov
Sándor Tamás (HostWare Kft.) wrote:
> I have another question.
> Can I update BLOB field taking it's original value, and changing only a word
> in a text subtype?
>
> I have to update 21 records in a table with large blob text datas through
> internet. I would like to reduce net traffic to minimum.
>
> Or do I have to prepare myself to a half hour editing procedure?

You could:

- log into remote computer
- use fbexport to dump blob to file on local disk
- edit the file with some (hex?) editor
- use fbexport to blob it back

If remote machine is Linux, shouldn't be too hard (there's hexedit, but vim might
do the job as well).

Make sure you dump both BLOB and primary key column, so you can do the update
later (using: where PK = :1). You'll probably need this to know which bytes *not*
to edit:

http://fbexport.sourceforge.net/FBExport_file_format.html

--
Milan Babuskov