Subject Re: Firebird restarting
Author Michael Vilhelmsen
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Alan McDonald" <alan@...> wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > I asked a similar question some days ago, without getting a answer I
> > could use.
> > So here it goes again.
> >
> > Some 50 days ago we moved a client from one server to another.
> > The old server was a Win2000 with 2Gb of RAM, Single Core CPU.
> > Firebird is 1.5.0.
> > The Db is some 8 Gb.
> > On this old server it has been running for 3 years wihtou any problems
> > with some 100+ connections.
> >
> > Now on the new server it a Win2003 64Bit, 4 Gb of RAM, Dual Core CPU
> > and FB 1.5.0.
> > The first 3 or 4 weeks i ran smoothly. But the last few weeks I get
> > the following in the FB log file.
> >
> > DBSRV04 (Server) Sat Dec 16 17:17:13 2006
> > Database: E:\DB\KAUFMANN\OCCLICENS.FDB
> > internal gds software consistency check (cannot start thread)
> >
> > (A LOT of these. Happens when a user wants to connect).
> >

> > Now there also appears these (the last 3 days).
> >

> > DBSRV04 (Client) Sun Dec 17 14:46:37 2006
> > C:\Program Files (x86)\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\bin\fbserver.exe:
> > terminated abnormally (4294967295)
> >

> > DBSRV04 (Client) Sun Dec 17 14:46:37 2006
> > Guardian starting: C:\Program Files
> > (x86)\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\bin\fbserver.exe
> >

> > At this point everybody looses there connection.
> >
> > We havn't changed anything in the FB settings.
> > Actually - they only differences are OS (Win2000 --> Win2003 64Bit)
> > and CPU (Single Core --> Dual Core) and more RAM (2 Gb --> 4Gb).
> >
> > We have tried doing a backup - restore one nigth. That didn't help
> > (And I would like to avoid that again, sinse the restore takes almost
> > 6 hours to complete).
> > We have tried restarting Win2003 server every nigth. That didn't help.
> >

> > So rigth now I have some 100+ very angry users in the phone. At almost
> > all time (we sell a Point-Of-Sale system to shops, and in these
> > christmas times the shops are open all the time).
> >

> > Does anyone have anything that could solve or narrow down my problem ?
> >
> > Regards
> > Michael
>
> the first thing I'd do to stop having angry clients is to move the
system
> back the way it was.
> Did you do any testing ata ll on the new OS setup before moving all this
> into production?
> Alan

We used the server internally for almost 2 months without experiencing
any problems.
We was not able to simulate 100+ users - But we ran some rather haedy
querys. No problem there.

Unfortunatly we reused the old server 3 weeks after the new one was
taken into use. Mainly because we gathered, that 3 weeks without
problems meant everything was alrigth. So moving back is a no can do ....

That the customers are angry - Well they just have to live with it for
a little time. Usually when they can't connect they are able to do so
after a few minutes. And once they are connected - It runs. Besides to
abnormal termination.

I have a theory that is has to do with to 2 Gb limit.
The OS can adress a lot more, but AFAIK Fb can't - So far.
We are waiting to see the FB 2.0 64 bits on Windows to Intel .... I
think that will solve the problem.

I was woundering - Is there a way to limit FB to use i.e. no more than
1.8 Gb of RAM ?

Michael