Subject RE: [firebird-support] Performance of Firebird vs. other DBMS
Author Louis Werth
Hi Laurenz

Can you explain a bit more. . . . how did you do the tests? What development
language did you use? And what component sets did you use. Did you perform
this test on the same PC? What operating system did you use etc.

Please explain how you managed your transactions. Commit, CommitRetaining
etc.

I battle to believe that Firebird will perform in the manner you explained.
Please share with us the table structures, insert statements & select
statement.

I am sure we will be able to point out the problem(This is a support list)

Regards
Louis

-----Original Message-----
From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of laurenz_brein
Sent: 16 August 2005 02:16 PM
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [firebird-support] Performance of Firebird vs. other DBMS

I have run stress tests against Firebird and a handful of other
Database Management Systems, and I have made the following
observations:

- For insert, update & delete, the performance was EXCELLENT
and no worse than for big commercial DBMS
- For simple selects, the performance was worse than for any
other DBMS tested.
(in both cases, use of primary key indexes was made, e.g.
SELECT/UPDATE ... WHERE ID = ?)

- Also, for operations that require index scans or full table scans,
the performance was 10 times as bad as for the worst competitor.

I post this because I am curious if somebody can explain results like
that: does Firebird use some kind of indexes that would explain such
a behaviour?
I used the out-of-the-box configuration of Firebird: was that a
mistake?
Any other clues?

Thank you,
Laurenz Albe

Visit http://firebird.sourceforge.net and click the Resources item
on the main (top) menu. Try Knowledgebase and FAQ links !

Also search the knowledgebases at http://www.ibphoenix.com