Subject RE: [firebird-support] Connecting to a providex database using ODBC
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:14 AM 4/08/2005 +1000, you wrote:
> > hello.
> >
> > I am interested in the firebird database. I currently have a Providex
> > database that I am trying to get reports out of. I have hit the 65,000
> > row limit of excel and so I am looking for a database to stage my
> > reports out of.
> >
> > What I need to be able to do is query the Providex database once or
> > several times a day which would update the query in Firebird.
> >
> > I have looked into Mysql but they do not have this functionality yet.
> >
> > Is this something I could do with Firebird?
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > mattmc97
> >

>providex website says it includes a database - why use excel? why do you
>need something else?

I read this message differently. It appears he is currently using Excel as
a front end for producing reports from the Providex database. He wonders
whether Firebird has a reporting front-end that he could use instead, to do
the same without hitting the limit on the number of rows.

If this is what the message meant then, no, Firebird does not have a
built-in reporting interface.

With Firebird, Providex or any other DBMS that has a supporting ODBC
driver, you should be able to use a third-party reporting tool - such as
Crystal Reports - to do this reporting directly. In other words, it's not
a transitional DBMS you should be looking for, but a reporting tool.

./heLen