Subject Re: Problems getting started with Firebird
Author labtech1652
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "labtech1652"
<labtechsupport@i...> wrote:
> I am a new user of Firebird and am having trouble connecting with
the
> example database, employee.fdb.
>
> I am currently trying Firebird in application mode, but get the same
> problem in server mode. I am running Firebird on the same computer I
> am trying to connect the database to. I get the following error;
>
> SQL> CONNECT "C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5
> \examples\firebird.fdb"
> CON> user 'SYSDBA' password 'masterkey';
> Command error: CONNECT "C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5
> \examples\firebird.fdb"
> user:'SYSDBA'password'masterkey'

Hi,

I found the problem by searching the forum; the entries is double
quotes need to be in single quotes e.g.

SQL> CONNECT 'C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5
> \examples\firebird.fdb'
CON> user 'SYSDBA' password 'masterkey';
Database:'C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5
> \examples\firebird.fdb' user:sysdba

It was confusing because the Quick Start Guide gives the procedure
with the double quotes as shown.

I also found I could do;

SQL> connect 'C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5
\examples\employee.fdb' user 'sysdba' password 'masterkey';

and connect properly to the database.

This may help out some other newbies.

Cheers,

Marcus