Subject Re: Firebird 1.5.2 client on Win 2000
Author Tony Masefield
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@t...>
wrote:
> At 04:27 PM 28/07/2005 +1000, you wrote:
>

> > > BTW, the IBPheonix site GSTG talks about a file called FB32.dll
> > > being necessary for the client but cannot find this file (now
> > > fbclient.dll?).
> > >

> That is the original version of the Quick Start Guide, written
before
> Firebird 1.5 existed and before any firm decision was made about
the names
> of the client libs for v.1.5.
>
> I've disabled that link, since updated versions of the QSG have
been
> available in the Firebird documentation project for *both* v.1.0
and 1.5
> for about a year now, perhaps longer. It shouldn't come up on
Google for
> much longer.
>
> For Fb 1.0, the client library is called gds32.dll on Windows. In
Fb 1.5
> it is called fbclient.dll; but you can use the command-line
program
> instclient.exe to generate one named gds32.dll with a version
string
> compatible with Borland's stuff.
>
> ./heLen

Hi Helen,

I think I ended up with the old QSG by following the link from
Google through to IBExpert to the QSG. Followe so many links though
that I cannot be sure on this one.

Actually ran instclient.exe initially. From what I have read, this
installs a 'clone' (best description I can give) of GDS32 that links
back to FbClient(?). Have also seen recomendations to rename
FBClient to GDS32 and place it in System32 (assuming one doesn't
have Interbase concurrently running with FB?).
Anyhow, the app runs with the 'standard' set of client files.

Rgds,