Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird 2 and IBX components
Author Ann W. Harrison
Graeme Edwards wrote:

> There has been a lot of talk about Firebird 2 no longer providing
> legacy support for the gds32.dll,

That's an odd way to describe the situation. gds32.dll is a closed
source product of Borland Software. Firebird does and will support the
interfaces it used in V6.0, to which we have sources. For us, that's
not legacy, that's a solid part of our history and our commitment to
backward compatibility means we won't abandon it. However, future
versions of gds32.dll from Borland are beyond our architectural control
- their license specifically disallows reverse engineering, so even if
we could figure out a way to be compatible with their new interfaces, we
shouldn't.

IBX is also a Borland product, and equally out of our control. There
are a number of independently developed components that have as a goal
working with both Firebird and InterBase, some of which also have a goal
of similarity with IBX.

http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=ibp_dev_comps

Regards,

Ann