Subject Re: AW: [firebird-support] Firebase Licensing
Author Ann W. Harrison
Steffen Heil wrote:

> If I remember correctly, you may even modify the code and sell firebird
> itself, but first, I am not sure about this and I don't like that fact
> eighter.

If you redistribute the Firebird binaries, unchanged, you don't owe
anybody anything.

If you build the binaries on a new platform, you can redistribute the
results and you don't owe anybody anything.

If you modify Firebird, you must publish your changes. The source must
be free* and freely re-distributable, but you can charge for binaries.

Regards,

Ann

*The license allows you to charge a "reasonable" fee for the sources of
code you change - something like the cost of burning them to a CD and
sending the CD. Let me try an example....

You make changes to Firebird and want to offer the binaries for sale.
Under the license, you must provide me with the sources of changes you
made to the Firebird code for free or for a nominal copying cost. I can
then redistribute your changes if I wish, either in source or in binary.

But let's suppose you're smarter than the average bear and want to
protect your intellectual property. You define an interface between
Firebird and your new code so that your new code is in separate module.
You must publish the interface, but you can keep the new modules
proprietary.