Subject Re: [firebird-support] Should I worry about INET/inet_error ?
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:42 AM 18/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>When ever I start my super server firebird 1.5 at my gentoo I got this
>error in my firebird.log.
>
>INET/inet_error: connect errno = 111
>
>What does this tell me? What can I do to fix this?

They are TCP/IP errors. Firebird doesn't know why they are happening - it
only reports them. They are useful if you are observing problems at the
same time that Firebird *does* know about.

>After knowing these error at my testing cum staging server, I then
>checked my 2 production servers which are running a classic server
>firebird 1.5 at RHEL.
>
>[root@db1 root]# tail -f /opt/firebird/firebird.log
>
>db1 Tue Jan 18 02:18:05 2005
> INET/inet_error: connect errno = 111
>
>db1 Tue Jan 18 02:18:07 2005
> INET/inet_error: connect errno = 111
>
>db1 Tue Jan 18 02:18:17 2005
> INET/inet_error: connect errno = 111

Connection reset by peer. It could mean the firebird server isn't actually
running or (in the case of Classic) that xinet has given port 3050 to
another application. It could mean that all the available sockets are used
up, which is just a transient condition. But it can mean other things,
which are often discernible from the associated Firebird exceptions.

>[root@db3 root]# tail -f /opt/firebird/firebird.log
>
>db3 Mon Jan 17 16:32:01 2005
> INET/inet_error: read errno = 104
>
>db3 Mon Jan 17 16:32:01 2005
> INET/inet_error: read errno = 104
>
>db3 Mon Jan 17 16:49:26 2005
> INET/inet_error: read errno = 104

Usually lost socket errors. Someone crashed out of an application, someone
unplugged a cable, fault NIC or cable. It also might mean that your app is
trying to connect to a database file that is on a filesystem not controlled
by the host server. If these errors are persistent, check that one out
and, if it turns out to be the cause, fix it!! Fb server isn't designed to
access diskspace that belongs to other hosts.

For documentation of INET errors, search on Google. There are several good
sites with complete listings of them.

./hb