Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Config issue?
Author Helen Borrie
At 05:00 PM 12/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Re Superserver threads

>can you tell me if there is an application or some metric
>tool that would give me some dynamic data on the status of my firebird
>server. Like a 'top' for firebird.

Use ps -aumSfxw | grep fbserver

Not all of the threads are for connections. It's fairly typical for 3 or 4
threads to be spawned per connection and the GC thread and other internal
threads will appear there, too. AFAiCT, the threads appear in creation
order, though a Linux expert could put you straight. Of course, it doesn't
tell you "who", i.e. which connection is eating CPU, since the main
fbserver process owns all of the others.

Unlike top, ps is a snapshot; so you might like to output it to a file. To
me, top is a major trap, because it consumes mega-resources itself.

>Further investigations reveals this in the firebird.log file:
>
> INET/inet_error: read error = 9

That's a network error - could be just an idle connection that has timed out.

>-jonald
>
>PS. I'm ordering your book :-)

You need a wheelbarrow for it. :-)

./heLen