Subject Re: [firebird-support] Date Range
Author Ann W. Harrison
Lester Caine wrote:
> OK date range is quoted as 0100-01-01 to 9999-12-31
> Is that to the Gregorian calendar, or will there be errors in day counts
> against the Gregorian calendar?

That's just the count of days using the Gregorian calendar. There's no
adjustment for the change from the Julian calendar.

> Of cause in theory I need dates before the year 0100 - If I can find any
> ancestors dates from roman times ;)

Arrg. The date data type has one 32 bit word that contains the number
of days that should be added to the base date to get the desired data.
If it's negative, it goes backward. The base date is 17 November 1858.
(Long story omitted as boring and pointless). There are plenty of
digits to go back earlier than 0100-01-01 and forward beyond 9999. The
restriction comes from the string representation and the difficulty we
had in distinguishing between '01/01/01' meaning the first day of the
modern era and '01/01/01' meaning the first of January 2001. I thought
you should be able to write '01/01/0001'. Jim thought that leading
zeros were not significant. We discussed it. I changed the
documentation.

Regards,

An