Subject RE: [firebird-support] Embedded server not working in Win98SE
Author Diego Barros
On Monday, January 10, 2005, at 10:55PM, Alan McDonald <alan@...> wrote:

>> Hi Helen,
>>
>> I have tried as you suggested and I am still not able to get the
>> embedded server version of my application deployed. I still get
>> the error message "..." when I run myapp.exe.
>>
>> On my development machine, after following your instructions, I
>> am now able to run myapp.exe on the development machine and it is
>> using the embedded server. I checked this by making sure I only
>> had one copy of gds32.dll on my machine, and that was located
>> where myapp.exe is. There is one copy of fbembed.dll, but that's
>> where I extracted the contents of the Firebird Embedded
>> distribution, and it's not in the application path.
>>
>> By running "DLL Explorer" I was able to check that when I ran
>> myapp.exe it was using gds32.dll, which is located in the same
>> directory as myapp.exe.
>>
>> The gds32.dll that I used is fbembed.dll renamed.
>>
>> After I installed Firebird 1.5.2 on the clean Windows 98 SE
>> VMWare image I was then able to run my application. What is the
>> Firebird install doing that I am not?
>>
>> BTW I am not using a firebird.conf or aliases.conf file with my
>> application. I am, however, deploying firebird.msg.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciate.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Diego
>>

>Could you make sure that as per release notes, you have the following setup
>in your application DIR
>
>If external libraries, are required for your application, e.g. INTL support
>(fbintl.dll) or UDF libraries,
>they should be located apart from the application directory. To be able to
>use them, place them into a
>directory tree which emulates the Firebird server one, i.e., in
>subdirectories named /intl and /udf
>directly beneath the directory where the Firebird root files are.
>Example
>D:\my_app\app.exe
>D:\my_app\gds32.dll (renamed fbembed.dll)
>D:\my_app\firebird.conf
>D:\my_app\aliases.conf
>D:\my_app\ib_util.dll
>D:\my_app\firebird.msg
>D:\my_app\intl\fbintl.dll
>D:\my_app\udf\fbudf.dll
>
>you seem to be missing ib_util.dll

Hi Alan,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't believe that I need INTL support, or the UDF libraries, as I am not using those features. At least I don't think I am. I just ran "DLL Explorer" after having unsintalled Firebird. Got a snapshot of my system, then ran myapp.exe and did another snapshot. I then compared them and noticed that "msvcp60.dll" was used by my application, which I think is actually used by FB since it must have installed it. When I deleted msvcp60.dll and ran myapp.exe, I got the error I got before. When I copied msvcp60.dll to the directory where my application resides, it worked. So I guess I have to add that DLL to my installation. And I also guess that it pays to install on a clean machine.

Regards,
Diego

>Alan
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links