Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: LIKE operator and UNICODE_FSS
Author Friedemann Gerold
On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 12:53:37PM -0000, mailmur wrote:

> > a select with the LIKE operator fails if the parameter contains non
> ASCII-characters.
> >
> > the problem was previously reported here:
> >
> > http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.php?p=425981#post425981
> >
> > is this fixed? or is here any work-arround?
>
> As far as I know, FB does not fully support unicode strings. Many
> string function can only handle ansi-ascii letters only. Same applies
> to "number_of_characters != number_of_bytes" issue in unicode
> characters, which give a nice side effect on varchar columns.
>
> http://koti.mbnet.fi/akini/ib/
> http://koti.mbnet.fi/akini/ib/unicode.html

i know this pages already :(

is here any chance that this behaviours will be fixed someday? i don't know...
but if the unicode_fss-problems belong to the varying byte-legth of characters,
can i use UTF-16 to work arround this problems?

http://www.jodelpeter.de/i18n/fbarch/selecting_charset_and_collation_in_firebird.html

i found this, and it says that utf-16 is already used internally but you can't
use it as column character set... is here any trick available?

it would be nice if unicode is supported correctly for further releases :)
i think i will switch the character set to latin1 now... and later need to look
arround...

thanks for answer! apart of this... firebird is a really great database... thanks
for this!

cinap_lenrek