Subject Re: [firebird-support] embedded firebird under linux fails when no /opt/firebird/XYZ exist
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:24 PM 10/09/2004 +0300, you wrote:
>Hello all
>I have very succesfull exeprience with embedded firebird under Windows.
>But when I have decided to give it a try under Linux I faced a problem.
>Embedded firebid just quits and log on syslog that it cannot find
>/opt/firebird/firebid.conf and /opt/firebird/alias.conf.
>As mentioned in the docs - embedded engine does not care about those
>files. But Linux version looks for them and quits.
>Is this a bug?

No: it's an unfortunate naming confusion.

libfbembed.so on Linux is not the "linux-equivalent" of the Windows
embedded server. It is a non-threadable client to the Classic server, than
enables direct local connection to a database. It is typically used to
write "embedded applications", viz. applications that can have a special
variety of SQL (known as "Embedded SQL") embedded in the program
sources. When these sources are pre-processed, this SQL is converted to C
macro calls that are embedded in the application.

You should have no difficulty connecting to a Classic server with the local
client (libfbembed.so) just as usual. It provides a one-user model that it
just as compact as the Windows embedded server: but it's not an embedded
server.

libfbembed.so can be used as a regular API client on the local machine.
Classic server needs all its pieces in the proper (installed)
locations. If you move them (as you would for Window embedded server) the
client/server connection won't work.

I saw your postings in Firebird-java, and Roman's responses, so it's
obvious you are not the only one confused by this.

./heLen