Subject RE: [firebird-support] 3-tier application
Author Myles Wakeham
Firebird plays into a 3 tier architecture by simply being the back-end
database. You can use any middle tier technology with Firebird that can
gain a connection to the database. The middle tier will simply abstract
access to the physical database for your clients, so it doesn't really
matter what the database engine is for the middle tier as long as it can
gain a good connection to it.

One of the advantages we've seen with Firebird is that it supports a power
Stored Procedure & Trigger capability, meaning that you often don't need to
have a middle tier as much of the database processing can be done on the
same server as the data itself, however if you need to separate out the
middle tier from the DB, I can't see any reason why Firebird wouldn't be a
perfect database for that architecture as well.

Myles

Myles Wakeham
Director of Engineering
Tech Solutions Inc.