Subject Re: [firebird-support] gfix core attempting to clean limbo transactions
Author Helen Borrie
At 05:43 PM 13/08/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>I was told that the only way to cleanup limbo transactions was to run
>gfix. Well gfix doesn;t work so well
>
>#0 0x0804de12 in reattach_database (trans=0xffffffff) at tdr.c:923
>923 tdr.c: No such file or directory.
> in tdr.c
>
>(gdb) #0 0x0804de12 in reattach_database (trans=0xffffffff) at
>tdr.c:923
>#1 0xffffffff in ?? ()
>Cannot access memory at address 0xffffffff

That looks like some kind of bug in the Debian port. On the Linux installations, if you stuff up the command line syntax, you get either an OS exception message or a help message from gfix.

>gfix -rollback all -user xxx -password yyy myDatabase
>
>also prompts with the prompt option specified.

I have no idea what you mean by that. Gfix is command-line only: it doesn't have a shell interface. Perhaps you are seeing the help text that appears when you present invalid switches.

>v1.0.3 debian linux
>
>Any ideas?

cd /opt/firebird/bin
./gfix -rollback all -user sysdba -password masterkey /full/path/to/myDatabase.fdb

or (inhale deeply and extend the right side of your email window)

/opt/firebird/bin/gfix -rollback all -user sysdba -password masterkey /full/path/to/myDatabase.fdb

Note that you need to be sysdba, root or the database owner to run gfix and you can't run a gfix command remotely.

/heLen