Subject Re: [firebird-support] Rroblem with 'group by'
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
uwekeim wrote:

>Hello,
>
>we're switching from Paradox to Firebird. Unfortunately we must use
>dialect 1.
>
>Now we have this problem:
>
>--->
>
>SELECT SOMETHING, colA*colB as PRICE
>FROM PRICES
>GROUP BY SOMETHING, colA*colB as PRICE
>
><---
>
>does not work. I've tried several variations, but didn't find a
>solution.
>
>Is there any way to solve this problem?
>
>kind regards
>Uwe Keim

Uwe,

If your query is simple as you showed us, the group by will do the same
job as a distinct, as you don't have any agregate function on it

Try this:

SELECT disctinct SOMETHING, colA*colB as PRICE
FROM PRICES

In FB 1.5 you could group by column number (the index of a column)

SELECT SOMETHING, colA*colB as PRICE
FROM PRICES
GROUP BY SOMETHING, 2

But I still thinks distinct are what you want.

see you !

--

Alexandre Benson Smith
Development