Subject Re: [firebird-support] Invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:29 PM 12/07/2004 +1000, you wrote:
>Hope someone can help. (my first post, probably not my last). WinXP,
>fb1.5, ODBC - client RealBasic 5.5.3
>
>I'm experimenting with different client/server models, as is the case in
>some other threads, I'm coming from an Access world. (time to step up).
>
>I can connect to the database via ODBC from my client, RealBasic (VB clone -
>sort of). I can cycle through a table and populate an array with all the
>primary keys. Navigation is by way of building a 'SELECT' statement with a
>'WHERE' clause pointing to the array. Only one record is returned. This
>all works, navigation is possible, first, previous, next and last.
>
>When editing a particular record, excuting an 'UPDATE' statement, I receive
>no error and it appears everything ok. When I then next issue a 'SELECT'
>statement to navigate to next or previous record (there is a previous/next
>record) my error trap kicks in. Last error message from database
>connection is:-
>
>"Invalid transaction handle (expecting explicit transaction start)".
>
>I use IBManager for general admin use. The changes I made are in fact
>committed and saved.

Commit ends a transaction. You have to start another one in order to prepare and submit another statement or to submit the same statement again.

>Any help would be appreciated. My way of doing things works for Advantage
>Database and MySQL, just can't figure out this little hiccup.

They don't have transactions...

If you want help with using the ODBC driver, join the firebird-odbc-devel list, where the magnificent Vlad Tsvigun and friends will bend over backwards to help you get going with this.

<mailto:firebird-odbc-devel-request@...?subject=subscribe>

/heLen