Subject Re: Which character set for the UK?
Author peter_jacobi.rm
Hi David,

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "tickerboo2002" wrote:
> Which character set should I use for UK apps?

ISO-8859-1 does contain the Pound Sterling sign (but not, B.T.W. the
Euro sign)

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "tickerboo2002" wrote:
> My database has all it's varchar fields using the ISO8859_1 character
> set. I've now found out that this cannot handle the UK sterling '£'
> sign - it gives:
>
> ISC ERROR CODE:335544321
>
> ISC ERROR MESSAGE:
> arithmetic exception, numeric overflow, or string truncation
> Cannot transliterate character between character sets

So something else in your setup must be wrong and we'll need
more info about what you are doing.

If for example, you are using Win32 (W2K or XP) and just testing
with ISQL, all the following steps are needed:

1. Switch the console's codepage to ISO-8859-1 by
chcp 28591 (chcp 1252 is nearly as good and can save you from
searching your Win CD if 28591 is not installed)

2. Set the console's font to Lucida Console

3. Start ISQL and switch the connection character set to
ISO-8859-1 by (by "set names ISO8859_1").

4. Now you are able to get non ASCII chars in and out your
ISO-8859-1 database

Regards,
Peter Jacobi