Subject Re: [firebird-support] Using Embedded Firebird vs IBOConsole
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:00 AM 26/03/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>I want to thank Peter for his information about Embedded Firebird.
>
>But as our team was discussing maybe moving this direction we came up with
>another question.
>
>We are using IBConsole on our customers machines to fix up little database
>anomalies. Its fairly easy to talk them through the queries to help us
>debug problems in our software and sometimes to help them fix the problem.
>
>With our move from IB6 to Firebird we have decided to use IBOConsole. It
>seems to work very well with Firebird.
>
>What we are wondering now is if IBOConsole will work with the embedded
>version of Firebird?

There's a few things to consider for this.
1. Any application written for the server will work with the embedded
server, i.e. there's no difference in the client-to-server interface that
affects your application code.
2. When the console program is running as "the" client, then no other
client can connect. The other side of the coin is that, if the user
application is running, IBOConsle won't be able to connect to the database.
3. IBOConsole expects a client named gds32.dll and for it to be located in
the system path. Fbembed.dll (renamed to gds32.dll in your case) needs to
be in the application directory.

This means that either
1) IBOConsole needs to be in the application directory, too; or
2) IBOConsole (if located elsewhere) needs its own copy of the renamed
fbembed.dll in its own directory or in the system directory.

4. The danger-thing about having IBOConsole "in the wild" on a machine with
the embedded server is that any old Joe Blow can "log in" as SYSDBA without
a legal password and do whatever they like. IBOConsole will require a user
name and password but you can put in SYSDBA with any old string for a
password and get in with full SYSDBA rights.

/heLen