Subject Re: Bug in firebird 1.5?? left joining
Author Svein Erling
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "johnsparrowuk" wrote:
> /* This works fine: fred-null, john-john */
> select * from currentpeople c left join finishedpeople f on c.person
> = f.person
>
> /* This is as expected too: john-john */
> select * from currentpeople c left join finishedpeople f on c.person
> = f.person
> where f.person = 'john'
>
> /* WHATS HAPPENING HERE????? fred-null, JOHN-NULL where does the
> john-null come from???*/
> select * from currentpeople c left join finishedpeople f on c.person
> = f.person
> where f.person is null

When Arno says it is a bug, I'm not going to argue against it, but
what is this select actually supposed to do? I thought that the right
table of a left join could only be referenced in the join clause and
not in the where clause. Is your select equivalent to

select * from currentpeople c
left join finishedpeople f
on c.person = f.person and f.person is null

or are you trying to do something different?

Just curious and confused,
Set