Subject RE: [firebird-support] IN, sub-select and select distinct
Author Russell Eva
Thank you for clearing that up, our middle tier has to look at (possibly)
other db platforms (eg Oracle) so I shall have to check what is the lowest
common denominator :-(
Russell.

-----Original Message-----
From: Arno Brinkman [mailto:firebird@...]
Sent: 12 March 2004 10:33
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] IN, sub-select and select distinct

I guess the ON in the last query was a typo ;-) >>>> Uh, oops, cut and
paste strikes again.

The first query uses the SQL-92 syntax and the second SQL-89 syntax. They
return both exactly the same results, but i prefer the JOIN syntax because
among others it's much better readable. In a quick look i can see what
belongs together. Besides that the SQL-92 supports OUTER JOINs so you can
extend the first query very easy with a LEFT JOIN and also the optimizer can
do a better task in some circumstances.

Regards,
Arno Brinkman
ABVisie