Subject Re: [firebird-support] Insert SQL ???
Author Uwe Grauer
Hi Gerry,

yust a view hints:

ggroper wrote:

> I am new to Firebird and need a little clue as to the proper syntax
> for a stored procedure.
>
> I'm inserting data into and existing empty table from a view.
>
> The view and the table structures are the same, field names, field
> characteristic (as seen by Developers Workbench), and field order.
>
> insert into existingtable select * from view
>
> First question, does the insert ignore field names and just uses field
> order and expect the field types to OK?

No, specify fieldnames in insert and select like you need it:
insert into existingtable (col1, col2, ...) values (select (col1, col2,
...) from view)

> Second, do I need some begin trans ... commit trans statements around
> the insert statements???.

Yes, its always better to use exclusive transactions.

> Is there any way to insert new records(primary key) and ignore
> duplicate records or do I need to revise a view to illiminate those
> duplicates??

You could use Generators for this. (You have to write a before insert
trigger for this.)
Refer to LANGREF.PDF and DATADEF.PDF:
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=ibp_download_documentation

> thanks,