Subject Re: [firebird-support] Interested question
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:28 PM 5/03/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>:).
>thanks, you almost has me hoping here for a easy way out :).
>
>but this does bring me back to the original question, is the gbak (restore)
>or the gfix (validation)
>not suppose to stop you from restoring a database that is invalid

Trying to parse the double-negatives here...

gbak -restore *will* stop and barf if it encounters invalid things. It
wouldn't barf on those illegal column names, because it was restoring a
Dialect 1 database.
Gfix validation isn't involved in a restore.

>or the validation tell you, hey here is problems ??

Gfix will tell you about problems if they are the kind it knows about. But
encountering Dialect-3-illegal identifiers in a dialect 1 database isn't a
validation error.

If you want to get warnings, etc. about things you have to change, open
isql and set the dialect to 2 (SET SQL DIALECT 2;) then connect to the
dialect 1 database and do SHOW TABLES; You can only read a dialect 1
database with dialect 2 but it might be a handy way to find things that
you'll want to change.

/heLen