Subject Re: [firebird-support] To know the last inserted or deleted
Author Daniel Rail
Hi,

At March 3, 2004, 11:18, akestion wrote:

> Is it possible to find the last values inserted or deleted as in MS.
> SQLsever, thanks a tables INSERTED or DELETED.

I don't think it would be that easy. After reading MS SQL's help on
the INSERTED and DELETED temporary tables, they seemed to be mainly
used within(and originally designed for) the triggers, because the
triggers "seem" to be executed only once the DML statement's execution
is completed.

Firebird doesn't need those kind of tables, because the triggers are
executed as each row is inserted, updated and deleted, not once the
DML is finished executing. Also, because of the multi-generational
architecture(multi-versioning of rows) of Firebird, it might be hard
to implement/manage and/or degrade performance.

I'm sure if you use them for a special reason other than within
triggers, there is another way in achieving what you want.

--
Best regards,
Daniel Rail