Subject Re: [firebird-support] Backup/Restore vs Reindex
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:17 PM 13/01/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I read that there is a performance gain when you backup/restore your
>database regularly. A time ago my database was extremely slow and I
>reindexed it. It worked perfectly.
>
>I was wondering whether there are some other reason why
>backup/restore are good (for performance that is)?
>
>And is there anything wrong with reindexing?

Nope, it's good housekeeping. You don't have to drop the indexes - just
use ALTER INDEX <index> INACTIVE and then ACTIVE.

gbak does other important housekeeping tasks, especially in cleaning out
obsolete record versions and freeing up space occupied by the "stumps" of
deleted rows. It doesn't housekeep indexes. Of course, a restore is a
really good cleanup because it rebuilds the database from scratch.

/heLen