Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird Installation Problems
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:29 AM 20/09/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>I am trying to install and run the Firebird version 1.5 on a Win2K Pro
>computer. I have had various versions of Interbase and Firebird on
>this computer, and now, with all of the improvements that are included
>in version 1.5, I think I am ready to try some development with it.
>My problem is that I don't seem to be able to install it and get it
>running successfully.
>
>I uninstalled the previous versions, but I still got an indication of
>a service in the My Computer|Manage utility. I deleted the Firebird
>key in the registry under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and
>that eliminated the listing. Then, I extracted the files from the RC6
>file into my D:\Program Files\Firebird folder and subfolders. I ran
>instreg install and instsvc install. Everything seemed to work okay,
>but when I try to open IBSQL to access a database on my computer, I
>get the following message:
>'The exception unknown software exception occurred in the application
>...' and then a message box saying that there was a runtime 217 error.
>
>I get exactly the same message from IBOConsole. From the Sofmosis
>editor, I get a message box saying that there was a "system error.
>Code 127. The specified procedure could not be found." Marathon
>produced the same result as IBSQL. I figure all these error messages
>are trying to tell me something. And I think that I have left
>something on my computer from a previous installation. I have
>installed it successfully on my computer at work. Does anyone have
>any suggestions on how I might get over this problem?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Possibly you have a broken setup for the client libraries. For 1.5, with
these existing client apps, you need to have *both* the gds32.dll and
fbclient.dll that are in the installation kit in your system directory. At
this stage, I suggest the following:

1. Check in your system directory that both dlls are there.

2. If so, look at the property sheet of gds32.dll. It should show a File
version number 6.3.0.0, Product version 1.5.0.3815 and Special build
description 'Firebird SQL server Release Candidate 6'.

3. If not the above, then rename gds32.dll to something like gds32.dll.old
and copy over the two dlls from the /bin directory of your Firebird
installation.

If the rename and copy won't work, it means gds32.dll is already loaded and
you'll need to reboot in safe mode to do this stuff.

heLen