Subject Re: [firebird-support] Daily Maintenance Task for Firebird
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:45 AM 8/09/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Just want to check out what are the daily maintenance tasks needed to
>maintain firebird database. Currently I am running 'gbak -B -g'
>database once a day, and alter index inactive/active. Are them good
>enough to maintain the performance of the database ?

Not really. One of the purposes of regular backups is to clear out garbage
that is left behind by the GC thread and sweeps. The -g switch disables
this garbage collection so, if your daily backup always runs with the -g
switch, there will be garbage accumulating in space on pages that the
engine could otherwise re-use. Uncollected garbage also causes searches on
frequently-accessed tables to take longer and longer over time.

There's no point in rebuilding indexes unless you need to - you can inspect
the statistics occasionally to judge the need and the frequency.

heLen