Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: copying data between FB DBs on the same machine
Author Helen Borrie
At 07:43 AM 12/08/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Alan McDonald" <alan@m...>
>wrote:
><snip>
> > > I have two different DBs on one server machine (ie. 'DB1.fdb'
> > > & 'DB2.fdb'), and I need to copy data from a table in one DB to
> > > the other DB.
> > > Currently I do this from inside my program: I copy data between
> > > two recordsets.
><snip>
> > > Question: Can I do this by means of an sql INSERT/SELECT?
> > > In MSSQL7 I would use: insert into table1 select * from
>DB2..table2
> > > Quick and painless :-)
> > >
> > > Thanx for any help
> >
> > Is there a reason you don't have just one database?
> > Is this required regularly?
> > Is this to be done manually each time?
> > Bottom line you can't yet do what you want server to server...
>there are
> > other ways to get the same end point though
> >
> > Alan
>Hi Alan,
>There are two diffrent programs each with it's own DB.
>Also, both DBs are on the same machine, so I need to copy DB to DB
>(not server to server).
>Can I use CONNECT and/or SET DATABASE to accomplish this?

The answer is No. Firebird doesn't support database namespaces. What Alan
was referring to is some efficient techniques for streaming output from one
DB to another on the same server, via a local client, inside a single
two-phase transaction. The IB_Datapump tool in the free IB_SQL toolset
utility (www.ibobjects.com) operates this way.

heLen