Subject Re: [firebird-support] embedded
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:53 AM 10/08/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I often see reference to "embedded server" or similar - what exactly
>does this mean in idiot's terms? - is it actually embedding the
>server into the exe or what -

It's a single instance superserver + client rolled into one dll.

>I am looking for a simple no brainer
>way of deploying a single user app without having to worry about
>installing servers etc

That's what it's for. No need to install the server or the service or to
have the security database or registry settings, etc. You just install it
in the same root as your app. Server starts up when the app starts up and
shuts down when the app shuts down.
There's a Howto in the ../firebird2/doc branch of the CVS tree.

>If it is how does one go about it (Delphi/IBO etc)

Your IBO is just as usual - the main thing is for the ib_session code to
find the client code in fbembed.dll instead of gds32.dll - there's a
technique for that - ask in the ibo list.

heLen