Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Text blob problems
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:48 AM 7/08/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Thanks Helen!
>
>I'll do this way.
>But how long varchar should I use?
>Aren't there problems if set varchar(4000) for example?

I would think so, in practical terms. But I wouldn't consider passing any
string data of that size as varchars. I was only answering your question
regarding why you got an error the way it was, not recommending it as a
correct technique...

Your alternative (recommended if you are handling text items of 4Kb) would
be to keep the input params of the SP as text blobs and to pass **text
blobs** to the procedure.

Firebird's ability to accept strings as input to text blobs in DSQL is a
nice-to-have feature, convenient if you are storing text data items that
would be uneconomical to store as varchar but likely, in the general case,
to travel from the application to the server without a lot of fuss and
overload. So, a Narration field on ledger journal would travel well this
way, whereas a 4K document would travel much less comfortably.

heLen