Subject RE: [firebird-support] Digest Number 1630
Author Pablo Lerner
Well, I'm sorry to be remembering you to Forest Gump, but my problem now is
my apparently lack of experience with SQL. I have decided to try ISO 8859-1
ES_ES, to see how it works, and have been triyng to do what Helen
recomended:

"UPDATE ordcompra
set newFld = ISO8859_1 oldFld
where oldFld is not null"

Definitions:
oldFld: varchar(70) CHARSET: NONE COLLATION: NONE
newFld: varchar(70) CHARSET: ISO8859-1 COLLATION: ES_ES

The problem is that I get :
"Invalid token.
Dynamic SQL Error.
SQL error code = -104.
Token unknown - line 2, char 24.
oldFld."

I also have try:
"update ordcompra
set prueba = cast(orc_motivo as VARCHAR(70) CHARACTER SET ISO8859_1)
where orc_motivo is not null"

but I get:
"Arithmetic overflow or division by zero has occurred.
arithmetic exception, numeric overflow, or string truncation.
Cannot transliterate character between character sets."

What am I missing ? I've been reading some languaje reference and SQL
reference docs but didn't find how to make it work. No doc indicates how to
cast a char set field.