Subject RE: [firebird-support] Newbie Qustion
Author Peter Gore
As a matter of interes I use UIB available from
http://www.progdigy.com/UIB/index.html It's free and fast. You might
like to try it.
Peter Gore

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Blomfield [mailto:tonyb@...]
Sent: 25 July 2003 20:03
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [firebird-support] Newbie Qustion

HI Doug.

I have been burnt in the past by OEM Compoinents and as a matter of
policy
dont use them.

Here are the Problems.

Supplier ceases business (TurboPower)
Have to purchase new version with every release of Delphi (7 Times)
Often are not backward compatible.
Code is often poor quality
Poor integration with Delphi.
Heavy commitment to learning new components.
No possibility of porting to C#.NET

In general, OEM components are over priced because of the upgrade
policies.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but with IB Objects I have to commit to
the
Data Aware components. ie Delphi DA Components no longer work.

Yes, Borland have made that statement and it pisses me off. That among
many
other reasons is why I am moving away from Borland in general.

I am not aware of FIBPlus.

I will go look it up.

Basically I was looking for a straight Port of existing code to FB. I
dont
mind changing my SQL because thats externalised from my Apps anyway, but
draw the line at having to re-engineer my Application Servers from top
bottom.

Thanks anyway,

Tony.