Subject [ib-support] Firebird and Kylix
Author GOVINDKRISHNA
------------------Original Message-----------

From : Lester Caine <lester@...>
To : ib-support@yahoogroups.com
Date : 12/06/2003 4:24:30 PM
Subject : Re: [ib-support] Firebird and Kylix

> I was all set to start an application using Firebird, Delphi and IBO
> but now my partner wants to target for linux as well as win32.
>
> Are other people using Kylix and Firebird? If so, what database
> components are you using?

As an alternative to Martijn's comment - I am currently at
the same decision point.

Firebird on Linux is magic, and accessing it via Apache/PHP
works fine. The question I am stuck at is "Is Kylix going
anywhere?"

Putting all the nice IBO graphical stuff over will be a lot
of work, and if Kylix does not 'evolve' then it is a waste
of effort, so I am actually looking at Qt and KDevelop
rather than Kylix. It's not directly compatible with
Windows, but at least it uses the latest libraries and works
with the latest distributions.

Anybody else in the same dilemma?

--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------

I have a similar dilemma. (Well maybe it is an easier dilemma).

Customers want clients which run on linux desktops. (luckily most of them seem to have a mixed house. I have not come across anybody who uses ONLY linux desktops).

So I am thinking of using Intraweb and giving a minimal browser interface. (Not everything will be possible through the browser interface but the key screens will be ported). Complete functionality only available on Windows.

Another issue is coming up.

I developed my application using Firebird as a backend. (Hey it's free, its a great database, why should anybody object to loading it).

I have customers who like my product but say "our IT (IS) Department has SQL Server admin skills / Oracle admin skills we want it running on SQL server or Oracle. we already have the licences for that. "

So I am seriously looking at DBExpress. Any feedback on this appreciated.

If I have to support Firebird, SQLServer, Oracle and MySQL on Windows Desktops as well as Linux Desktops any options other than DBExpress. (Not immediately, over time. Primary development will still be against Firebird)

(that is why I feel my dilemma is easier because I havent found any option other than DBExpress)

gk