Subject Re: [ib-support] Network connect via ODBC
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:55 AM 26/03/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I'm working with Firebird 1.02 on Windows NT 4.0 Sp6a.
>
>I am trying to connect to a firebird database on a remote host via an
>ODBC-Driver.
>I've created a System-DSN and given the path to the database file as UNC
>or as network-share.
>
>When I try to connect the example database with MS Access or NI LabView I
>get the error message:
>
>I/O error for file "\F\Firebird\examples\Employee.gdb
>Error while trying to open file
>
>Although I gave an absolute correct path the path can not be resolved over
>the network.
>The name of the remote host is lost. I gave this path
>\\Mep_re_2\F\Firebird\examples\Employee.gdb
>(No network problem, TCP/IP configured properly, IBConsole can connect
>remotely)
>
>I've tried this with the IBPhoenix and the XTG ODBC-Driver.
>
>Is such a connection impossible with the ODBC-Drivers right now or am I doing
>something totally wrong?
>Has anybody done this successfully?

You won't succeed with a mapped drive or a share. You must connect to the
tcp hostname (preferably) or the IP address using the Windows TCP/IP
connection string:

MyServer:D:\Firebird\examples\Employee.gdb
or
192.179.12.1:D:\Firebird\examples\Employee.gdb

and D _must_ be a hard-drive that is on the same physical machine as the
server.

heLen