Subject RE: [ib-support] Network connect via ODBC
Author Alan McDonald
you can't use shares. The connection string used by the ODBC driver must be
in the form
"machinename:systemdrive:\path\file.fdb"

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf Erdmann [mailto:ralf.erdmann@...]
Sent: Wednesday, 26 March 2003 8:56 PM
To: ib-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ib-support] Network connect via ODBC

Hello,
I'm working with Firebird 1.02 on Windows NT 4.0 Sp6a.

I am trying to connect to a firebird database on a remote host via an
ODBC-Driver.
I've created a System-DSN and given the path to the database file as UNC or
as network-share.

When I try to connect the example database with MS Access or NI LabView I
get the error message:

I/O error for file "\F\Firebird\examples\Employee.gdb
Error while trying to open file

Although I gave an absolute correct path the path can not be resolved over
the network.
The name of the remote host is lost. I gave this path
\\Mep_re_2\F\Firebird\examples\Employee.gdb
(No network problem, TCP/IP configured properly, IBConsole can connect
remotely)

I've tried this with the IBPhoenix and the XTG ODBC-Driver.

Is such a connection impossible with the ODBC-Drivers right now or am I
doing
something totally wrong?
Has anybody done this successfully?

Thanks for any help,