Subject Re: General Multi-User Architecture Question
Author Gary
Artur,

Thanks for the feedback. We use InstallShield, which we can use to
script updates that are handled in logon scripts for Win2k Server.
For networks where Win2k Server and domain authentication are not
being used, your solution, or variations of it, may turn out to be
exactly how we keep version control. There are other ideas on the
drawing boards around here as well...

Very good comments!

-Gary

--- In ib-support@yahoogroups.com, "Artur Anjos" <arsoft@n...> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> I think it will be easy for you to implement this small trick:
>
> Assumptions:
> - Your EXE file will be installed on the client side (let's call it
> ClientEXE);
>
> 1) Create a centralized place on your network, where you will put
the most
> recent EXE file. This could be anywhere, even a w95 machine with a
share
> 'read-only' for everyone. (I will call this SourceEXE).
>
> 2) Instead of calling your EXE directly, create a small program
that to
> something like:
> - Get date/time from SourceEXE
> - If it's recent that the one that exists on the client, get
SourceEXE and
> replace ClientEXE with it;
> - Run ClientEXE;
>
> This way, everytime a user run the application, it will update
itself.

> For the WAN, the trick it's the same. Slowness just in update time.
If you