Subject Re: [ib-support] Max metadata changes allowed
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:49 AM 18/03/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>####
> >From a previous message:
>
> >So I do get more from a backup and restore than from a simple sweep? Does
> >sweep reset the metadata change ids? That is, can you make 250 metadata
> >changes, do a sweep and then do another 250? Apparently, 255 is the max
> >changes before a backup and restore is required.
>
>Yup. If you have a database that's still under development and you're
>hitting the limit regularly, you have no option but gbak and restore to
>reset them.
>####
>
>What does a "metadata change" constitute? Any type of change? Table
>dropping, table adding, index creation/removal etc. etc. Or is is the number
>of transactions that involve changes to the database?

You can perform a total of 254 metadata changes on a database object. As
soon as one object reaches this magic total, you won't be able to connect
to the database before backing up and restoring. This will restore the
change counts on all objects to zero.

Sweeping doesn't alter the change counts.

heLen