Subject RE: [ib-support] Re: Stored procedure problem
Author Alan McDonald
if you want a fast delete, drop the table (you almost hear it :-) then
recreate and insert again
Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Gollahon [mailto:gollahon@...]
Sent: Tuesday, 18 March 2003 8:22 AM
To: Ib-Support
Subject: Re: [ib-support] Re: Stored procedure problem

"Aage Johansen" <aagjohan@...> wrote in message
news:<4.3.2.7.2.20030317200908.00bebd90@...>...
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:48:10 +0000 (UTC), Don Gollahon
>
> 1. I find that ("corrupt too easily") hard to believe - could there be
some
> external problem?

We are currently reinvestigating this problem. It is happening mainly with
our largest database right now.

> 2. Since you do mostly batch processing, it should be possible to find a
> period of low activity where a manual sweep could be run.

We have some 30 companies that we process for, each having their own
database. These are spread over 3 servers. Having 10 companies per server
and many files to import and process for each keeps them all running almost
constantly. We have a maintenance program that we run monthly that extracts
all records to a text file. Then we delete and rebuild the database and run
maintenance to re-import the latest 2 months of data. We were doing deletes
but found out that FB hates to do massive deletes like that (database
problems increased to a high percentage). So thats why we went to the
process I just described.