Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: IN clause, limitation to 1550 items
Author Didier
develop111 wrote:
> --- In ib-support@yahoogroups.com, Paul Schmidt <pschmidt@i...>
> wrote:
>
>>On March 15, 2003 03:35 pm, develop111 wrote:
>>
>>>I'm currently using IB 6 OpenSoucre version with my Delphi
>
> programs.
>
>>>I'm planning to migrate to Firebird in a near future. A
>
> limitation
>
>>>with IB 6 is that I cannot have more than 1500 items within
>
> the "IN"
>
>>>clause in a query.
>>>
>>>Example: SELECT * FROM PRODUCTS WHERE PRODUCTID IN ('PRODUCT1', '
>>>PRODUCT2, ...)
>>>
>>>Is this limitation is the same with Firebird ?
>>

> Thank you for all answers. I will try to find a new way to do that.
> However, the problem is that I'm using a report generator and I
> don't have the source and full control on it.
>
> So, it's for this reason I need to use an IN clause with the report
> generator to filter only on specific products. Also, another problem
> is since users don't necessary have access to all products (it
> depends on their security level) it complicate things.

I believe those are two strong reason for you to create a table where
you list only the codes your user can see and only those ones. You
populate that table before running your report & add this table to the
join.

I believe this should do nicely what you need. On top of that, it should
be really fast, as SQL engines are good at joining data sets.

just my 0.02 EUR

Didier