Subject Re: [ib-support] GSEC problems with FirebirdSS-1.0.2.908 on Debian linux
Author Paul Reeves
Roman Bobnar wrote:

> I downloaded the tarball from the IBPhoenix
> (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/firebird/FirebirdSS-1.0.2.908-1.64IO.tar.gz),
> installed it clean and I get the error I mentioned previously when
> running gsec. I even tried installing the debian firebird packages,
> but these also gave me the same error when running gsec. Any help on
> the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm. Well, I just did this:

o uninstalled my existing version ( a classic rpm),
o killed the running instance of the lock manager
o restarted inetd.

I then unpacked the above tarball and ran the install script.

I started Firebird (/etc/init.d/firebird start) and then typed gsec at
the prompt and I was in. All this was as root.

A remote connection from a Win32 box also worked.

I always have $INTERBASE, $ISC_USER and $ISC_PASSWORD set. They may make
a difference. Apart from that everything is more or less the same.
(except that I was testing on a SuSE box and the install is designed to
test for SuSE, RH or MDK).

There is a debian specific package available (for Fb 1.0.) Have you
tried that?

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Paul
--