Subject Re: [ib-support] connecting to firebird
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:10 AM 12/03/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I think once there were possible corruption-problems in interbase if
>two clients connected to the same database using different ways.
>1. using the driveletter ( h:\database.gdb )
>2. using the servername
>3. using the IP-adress
>
>Is wonder if this is still the case ?

It never was the case.

InterBase (but not Firebird) will cause problems if one connection connects
to a Windows server using a PATH in the "legal" format
(d:\path\database.gdb) while another connects with the "illegal" format
(d:path\database.gdb). Windows passes each connection string to the server
as if the connections were being made to *different* databases. As soon as
these connections do any DML, you get serious corruption.

With Firebird, as soon as one connection has been made, any connection
using the other string format will be refused. This protects the
data; but it will make a careless programmer pretty unpopular with his
customers.

With the correct network setup, connections can be made safely to any or
all three of your items 1), 2) and 3) above.

>My users are able to connect to
>a different database by browsing, and chances are really big that
>this will result in a different way of connecting to the same database

If you are saying that your users are allowed to connect freely to any
database they choose, and enter their own connection strings, then, sure,
you have filled their kegs with gunpowder.

Otherwise - it's up to you to write safe code in the client apps you give them.

heLen