Subject Re: [ib-support] Porting from mysql to firebird
Author Svein Erling Tysvaer
We've got generators, which are outside transaction control. Used correctly
(i.e. by calling GEN_ID(<generatorname>, 1) every time you want a new
number) these guarantee unique numbers. However, since they are outside
transaction control, you have to first grab the number using GEN_ID and
then insert it into whatever field you want. Using something like
GEN_ID(<generatorname>, 0) I assume is similar to last_insert_id(), but
this isn't safe in a multiuser environment where two people can insert
simultaneously.

There exists no column type AUTO_INCREMENT, most of us use INTEGER and
fills them using generators.

HTH,
Set