Subject Re: [ib-support] Firebird & OOo
Author William L. Thomson Jr.
On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 19:22, Helen Borrie wrote:
> At 06:52 PM 10/02/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> >Apparently you have not used Access,
>
> Yes, but not if I can avoid it.

I agree. However it seems to serve a purpose in a multi-layer app. A
contact of mine at Chrysler told me a of a solution that Chrysler is
deploying that uses DB2. Access is then used as an interface to the data
in the DB2 database. I am not 100% on the exacts of how it works, but I
assume the data is extracted from DB2 inserted into Access, manipulated,
and is then sent back to the DB2 database.

This is a solution that IBM is providing Chrysler for aroun $2 million.

> >OOo datasources, or Rekall. I have
> >used Access to interface Innoved DxDatabook to a combination text file
> >from Oracle or directly from Oracle via ODBC and tables in the Access
> >database to make it portable and not have to have Oracle bloatware on my
> >machine. No programming required. Many other useful purposes also.
>
> So do spreadsheets.

In another reply I was going to say, as a glorified spread sheet. Most
people initially think of a database in those terms. Spreadsheet terms
that is.

I imagine a popular use for OO and Firebird will be data extraction
directly to a spread sheet, and visa versa.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.