Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: installing v1.5 beta 1
Author Helen Borrie
At 04:20 PM 5/02/2003 +0000, you wrote:

> > > Under Windows 2000, I downloaded v1.5 and unzipped it
> > > into c:\fb15\. From c:\vb15\bin\, I did the
> > > following:
> > >
> > > set INTERBASE=c:\fb15\

Have you checked to see whether the INTERBASE environment variable exists
on your server?

> > > instsvc install %INTERBASE% -auto
> > > instreg install %INTERBASE%

> > [...]
> >
> > > Statement failed, SQLCODE = -904
> > > unavailable database
> >

>This is my first install of Firebird (v1.5 beta). I never had FB 1.0
>on my machine. Also, yes, I've copied the two DLLs into the windows
>system directory, so I don't think that's it.
>
>It doesn't seem to see the database in c:\fb15 because (1) it says
>'unavailable database' and (2) the date/time stamp is not changing.
>But, why? Is there something wrong with either of the following commands?
>
>CREATE DATABASE 'c:\vt\test\fdb' page_size 8192 user
>'DBASYS' password 'masterkey';

You won't be able to do any server operation if the server can't check your
security attributes. So far, it seems it can't find the security database,
probably because the INTERBASE variable is not defined.

>gsec -database c:\fb15\isc4.gdb

You don't pass the security database path to gsec unless you are trying to
run gsec remotely. To call gsec locally you need:

gsec -user sysdba -password masterkey

or, using local loopback:
gsec localhost:c:\fb15\isc4.gdb -user sysdba -password masterkey

But gsec is a maintenance program for the security database, not a means to
log in to user databases.

>Or, is this command bad? Should it not have the final backslash?
>
>set INTERBASE=c:\fb15\

Remove the final backslash....but
- you can't set a variable that hasn't been defined.
- if it is defined, I think that it won't be known to the server until next
time it starts up

>Or, is there some other installation procedure other than running
>INSTSVC and INSTREG?

That should be enough.
Have you looked to see what was written to your registry?

Further Fb 1.5-specific questions you should take to
firebird-devel. That's where feedback on betas is handled. When doing so,
inquire about the configuration file - I think the new one is called
firebird.conf. I don't actually see it in the download kit.

heLen